Thursday, July 5, 2012

Reading

This past month I’ve been buried in books. Our shed is still full of them, and, hunting for The Lord of the Rings -which I found in the last box, full of yarn and traces of recent mouse occupation - I came back with a book on Benedictine ritual, Flannery O’ Connor’s letters, Chekhov’s plays, a book on beekeeping, and the phone book I’d wanted a month ago. Along with these books, I’m on my second read of Harry Potter for Nerds: Essays for Fans, Academics, and Lit-Geeks. I’m not a Harry Potter fan. But I’m so glad I picked this book up. Both Jenna and Mr. Pond have essays in the book, and their essays fulfilled at least some small bit of the desire I have to ply them both with liquor and discuss the whole series late into the night. The books fascinate me because of the fan reaction to them, and so though I’m not a fan, nor an academic, I’ve been reading and discussing the essays at home for weeks. Now, I’m thinking of taking a bit of that discussion here. Jenna’s given me permission to comment on here essay, which is one of my favorites in the book. Her essay is on love and it was a joy to read. So look for that, if you’re interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment