Sunday, July 29, 2012

Christian hospitality has been weighing on my mind. A friend came last month, to stay for dinner and a morning of canning. She had recently come from a winter as a guest at a Christian intellectual community in England and we spent a good deal of the visit discussing hospitality - what it is in our lives and what we want it to be. Soon after her visit, I picked up the book “Untamed Hospitality”. I’m just beginning it.  But already I love the tone of the book and the spirit of the arguments for a reclaimed sense of hospitality informed by and rising naturally from the hospitality of God, and against the consumer-driven, entertaining hospitality of our culture. It is a book that makes me long to have a table full of long lost friends, pots of coffee, cakes, conversations late into the night.

1 comment: