Friday, June 7, 2013

Exile..

I knew when we decided to buy the land that I’d be leaving behind - forever - the sort of carelessly interactive city-life I’d been living. I’d no longer glance out my bedroom window and into my neighbor’s living room, no longer take a quick walk to the grocery store, or cafe. And I knew that would have repercussions in my social life - the easy popping by was no longer an option..I would have to be more intentional, more conscious of my own social life and expectations. I didn’t expect isolation though. Our home isn’t so far away as to make it a burdensome drive - twenty minutes from our old apartment in the heart of town; and being nurtured - as I was on friendships that are still strong despite the huge expanses of country that separate us, or diverging lifestyles (my dearest friends and I are often at odds about more important things that city or town, Latin Liturgy, or Novus Ordo), has made me ill-prepared for the social changes that came with our move.

I am beginning to learn the danger of intentionality - my life is not clear and straight before me. Thoughts and hopes are in flux. More than anything, I’m feeling the loneliness of introversion. Rilke reminds that friendships can inspire more loneliness than solitude, and this is true; but these are not the friendships I can hold to. Not to see them take intense focus and effort, yet languish. This month I am retreating back into myself, saying a quiet goodbye to those whose affection was not so much for me as a person, but for me as one of many - part of a community that stands still and watches dreams stagnate. And the goodbye is less bitter than it could have been. It’s grown into something touching forgiveness: aware that what I thought and expected wasn’t realistic. I expected a kindred spirit and an understanding from those who share little but faith with me..There are too many types within the Church for all to be compatible. And I’m mourning a little bit, because half-friendships wound too, when they’re abandoned..and because I can’t help but wonder if my daughter will spend most of her childhood standing at the end of the driveway, watching it disappear into the trees, and whispering “nobody coming, nobody coming”..too soon adept at exile.

11 comments:

  1. I feel the danger of intentionality, too.

    And this post... I want to say, I'll drive the twenty minutes to your house ANY TIME... unfortunately, for me it's more like seven or eight days of driving...

    Solitude and loneliness aren't something I've felt terribly often in the last decade or so (remember, I'm 35), but I remember it from when I started working at YD and I had HOMESCHOOLER written all over me and I didn't know how to be casual or West Coast outdoorsy or fit in with that group of confident and bonded people. Introverts get lonely, too, don't we?! I see it often in those close to me even when I'm not experiencing it myself.

    I will pray for friends who make the drive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Introverts DO get lonely!!! It's sad..and yet, not so sad I'm willing to completely abandon my solitude..Thanks. I think we need the prayers for friends who can understand..or maybe just for a better sense of who will and who won't ever understand. <3

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that! I know how hard intentionality is - that's pretty much the story of my life. Let me know if you ever want to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BT! I will..and we'll be abandoning all pretense of solitude in a few weeks to see you!

      Delete
  3. Some of that separation is growing up and naturally growing apart, isn't it? It's interesting to see among my college friends which of us still connect the way we do. It's more than just those of us who have/want children and those of us who don't, though that's a major part of it. One of the biggest separaters of me and my best friends from seven or so years ago is our ability to play. I'm still very much the childish dreamer that I used to be, while they've adapted to the "real" world. It's sad to me. But God brings new friends to fill the aching gaps.

    You mentioned us coming to visit you a couple of times, and I. Would. Love that. To be honest, I am hesitant about intruding on your quiet, private rhythm. I had thought that if I could rent a tent, that would be just enough space and proximity. Maybe in the fall, when the weather cools and (fingers crossed) Afon is potty-trained and might do better on the long drive?

    I'm isolated as well, even though I go to work with other people, and it is a relief to spend time with grown-ups. But the college friends live far away and are busy with their own lives. Loneliness is not the same thing as aloneness. So you see how I can blog being so busy now, it's like a two-way journal, a way to reflect and to reach out/communicate. I find the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is..I think a lot of it does come as we all find our family-lifestyle and settle down..though it's funny, I don't have the same trouble with my college friends - for us that bond is still very strong, and even my dear best friend from high-school is still close, though miles and miles away! But God does bring new friends and new comforts and new joys..And you're so right that aloneness and loneliness are so very different. I feel lonely most often when I'm not alone..

      Would you PLEASE come visit!!! I wonder how much my love of my quite rhythm scares people away..but really, it's always happy to absorb other people!!! I'll make you croissants, and danish, and pierogis and every good thing!!! But you will probably want to bring a tent..or use ours - we'll make it super comfy for you - because the guest house isn't built and co-ed, one room sleep-overs are sometimes awkward ;) But we would LOVE, love, love to have you and Afon!!!!!!! Let's gang up on Jenna now and make it a party ;)

      Delete
    2. I didn't go to college... so I have my best friend from when I was ten, who is still around, and I have my local book club girls... and I have the internet and you two. <3

      And I feel lonely most often when I'm not alone, too.

      OH MY GOSH I WANT TO COME!!!! WHY is it so expensive to fly to Maine?! I'm drooling over the danish and pierogis and croissants... it's Friday and I'm hungry... and I would just about kill to have some time with you ladies.

      Delete
    3. We are willing to pick you up in Boston..if that helps??? Flying to Maine awful..but OMgoodness - how much fun would we have!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh, no, M. . . . will coming to visit you next week make it better or worse? Either way, you know you can call me any time, too.

    <:-/

    (that's my sympathetic face).

    And we're happy to give you space while we're in town if having us around all the time stresses you out.Just let us know! No offense taken guaranteed.

    Christie, you should visit! It's true that they will make the tent super comfy; it is the comfiest tent in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait..you're coming NEXT week?? That'll be nice, really...but what are the dates again? :)

      Delete
    2. Well, ish. We're leaving the 16th. . . but it'll take a couple days to get there probably?

      Anyway, we're staying in TrailerTowne, so we won't be ambushing you at the yurt at 3 in the morning in any case. We'll call!

      Delete