Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Slow Life

It’s been nice to write slowly these past few days. I’ve spent more time cleaning (the unending battle), and redecorating a bit. My desk is clearer than it’s been in a long time, in part because Yarrow has stolen my typewriter, which is out of ink, and caused it to be set on her desk (the tea-box) so that she can write long letters to Jesus or whomever. I’ve been enjoying the best pork I’ve ever had, and planning for spring - which is my favorite occupation when the snow makes it impossible to act on any of those plans.

I’ve been more unsocial than usual the past couple weeks - I think I’m still in recovery mode from the Christmas-Wedding-New Year’s extreme, though Hannah’s wedding was so perfect, and so beautiful, with Christmas carols before the Mass and enough love to carry anybody through the weekend! But Epiphany, I did manage to pull myself together enough for a friend’s “Twelfth Night” party..which was more refreshing than anything: just eight of us, good cheese, great coffee, amazing coffee-cake, and Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night” to read through. I read Viola, and felt a peace in the English Major part of my soul. It was lovely. Yarrow acted the part of Audience, clapping loudly and yelling out “yay” at various intervals..especially the end.

Christie, over at Spinning Straw into Gold, will be reading Harry Potter this year, and sharing her reflections. I’m excited to see what she thinks, and a little worried, as most of the people I know from the blogging community are fans, and if Christie joins them, I’ll be all alone.. So I’ve decided to read the books with her this year, and share my reactions as well, I haven’t read any but the last book in years, and who knows, maybe I’ll enjoy it, either way, writing reactions is always fun. So I hope you don’t mind, Christie..I promise not to ruin your first read, and to only post my responses after your’s!

In general, I think, unless I get very passionate about something. The rest of January might be very much a collection of moments and tiny reflections. At home I’m sort of setting the stage for the year, settling in and looking around a bit. I’m finally getting that library membership - the one that costs $30 a year because my town is too small to have it’s own library. The wind is effusive this morning. Not angry or wild at all but all the trees are dancing, especially the big, ugly, leaning pine down the road. I alway say I want to take it down - it makes my whole world look out of order, but I do love watching it wave.

11 comments:

  1. I love all of this! Cannot wait for those HP reflections... now I'm tempted to read it with you two, though if I do it'll be for something like the thirty-seventh time AND it might prevent me from getting to War and Peace, which would be unfortunate.

    In your place I'd want to buy the library membership, too. I can't begin to afford the entirety of my reading habit.

    We had our first snow this morning--great big flakes a little past dawn, falling just enough to frost the grass over. It's all melted now, but it was pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll need to! Christie and I need someone to answer questions! But don't sacrifice War & Peace..maybe you could sacrifice something less important..like sleep, or food, or life in general ;)..

    First snow..wow. In January..I might love one year of that, just to frustrate our plow-guy..but then, I do love snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAR AND PEACE! WAR AND PEACE! WAR AND PEACE! -The Neglected Husband

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry Potter read-through club! We could almost make it a sort of blogalectic thingy.

    I'll get to War and Peace, never fear. That one will have to wait a little bit no matter what, of course, as I have another nine hundred page book to read first. Wheel of Time!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. war and peace, wooooooooo!

    so much to love.

    I'm excited for M. to read and talk about Harry Potter, too! It's not bad, M., it's just different! Maybe even similar to W&P in some broad outlines. Probably in RL most Evil Dictators are more like Napoleon than like Voldy. And if circumstances make it necessary to choose your family, the Weasleys are pretty ok, but not as awesome as the Rostovs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm..Laura, you're spouting heresy right now..;) But at least you pick out good coffee!

      Delete
  6. Maybe the pine is essential, you know, a little disorder in the world can come through for you, like its waving. c:

    This is going to be fun! I wonder if I will be a fan of HP? I have my doubts, but I, too, don't want to be left out of the loop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogalectic, yes! Sounds like an awesome project! The only thing is that I'm awfully flaky on commitment. Looseness works better for me. So if we could work around.

    I have not read War and Peace. Yet. c;

    ReplyDelete
  8. *work around my flakiness, I mean

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure we can! I was just planning to follow your schedule. If you post your thoughts on a book, I'll post mine, and Jenna can post hers - no specific days, but sort of loose and chatty..

    War and Peace is God's gift to the literary world..you should read it! But stock up on tea, vodka, and scones..it's that sort of book. :)

    ReplyDelete