Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The New Year

I’ve been away, in California for four days watching a dear friend marry her beloved and begin a new life. It was lovely, one of the loveliest weddings I’ve ever seen: we sang Christmas hymns and celebrated under a full moon in weather that felt ridiculous under the light of Christmas candles and Holly wreaths. The ceremony made me miss my husband - snowed in at home with pork and presents and our sweet, neurotic dog. I came home in time for the New Year, jet-lagged and sleep deprived. I’m looking forward to 2013 - the year I will leave my 20s behind forever, the year I will - finally- do the many things I have collecting on resolution lists from year’s past.


The morning, only the second day of the year, is colder than we’ve had for a long time. I don’t remember a winter morning this cold last year - even on the nights I stayed up to feed the stove each hour. We’re better insulated, both by our own work and by the early storms that buried us in snow. I’m eating oatmeal and drinking the first of many cups of coffee as I watch my husband walk the long driveway out. I don’t have defined resolutions this year. 2012 had some of the best moments, and a few which stand alone as the worst moments of my little life, and I’ve been ending the year with a sense of renewed direction, not always well-lived out, but active and growing. I am, more than ever, resting in the hands of God and offering my life up to him. Waiting for him to show me the new year rather than planning it, or searching it out in cards and fire. Blessings to all in 2013, may it be everything good to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment