Thursday, November 12, 2009

"I don't know what I will become,
nor what I was to be,
I can only replicate the earth's
deep gestures.
I have storm and stillness,
clarity and dusk;
my will is absorbed in growing
and young.."
Rainer Maria Rilke

Outside, dusk is hiding all the dirt and dying leaves - inside, I sit among my candles, incense, and icons; something about autumn evenings calls me to darken my eyes and sit still amid flickering lights and watchful eyes. There is music in the background -there usually is, music makes our home come alive. I like to dance to it - across the smooth wood, in and out of doorways, I like to feel my legs and arms lift and twist against the song. I'm not a good dancer - though my husband tells me I have rhythm - I never really learned, I lack discipline; a few lessons, ballet when I was very young, belly-dance a few years ago, nothing demanding. But I do love to dance.

Tonight we have a book-club meeting, we are discussing Chesterton's The Man who was Thursday. Though the meeting seems like it will be very small, I love book and still hope to get some decent discussion out of it. If you haven't read it, do - it's a fascinating, trippy trip into a Catholic imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment