Wednesday, August 19, 2009


"Very hot and still the air was, Very smooth the gliding river, Motionless the sleeping shadows."
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


The summer air is puffing hotly through the windows, doing nothing to break the stillness. Hot, summertime sounds have been all around me today. Smokers walking up and down the street, shirtless and sweating, while their women hang out the windows, or lay out on the side porch hoping for a breeze. The boys next door played basketball in the sun and argued more than usual. Bikers, open cars with radios blaring race by - I hear snatches of country songs, hip-hop and converstions. Summertime in the city is like nothing else.


I am waiting for my husband to come home, waiting for the stars to come out and the air to cool, waiting for another opportunity to take my bicycle up and down our city streets and across the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment