Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday

Today, the sun is bright and warm, the chickens are out pecking, and we are diving into the Lenten routine. I am trying to fill the day with activity - to distract from fasting, trying to teach my soul to breathe peacefully in prayer.

One discipline is daily writing - something I often ‘cheat’ at with quick edits and half-hearted attempts. Today, with my cup of blackest coffee beside me, I’m committed - drafting poems that are half prayers and editing long - abandoned articles for freelance submission.

I’m keeping Christ before me in this season. On the table, on the wall, and within my mind. I’m trying to focus through the noisy moments and grow in all aspects of my vocation - each nourishing the other in this season of retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment