Tuesday, July 22, 2008

“Beauty is to enthuse us for work, and work is to raise us up.”
Cyprian Norwid

It is a great joy to me that my apartment is beautiful! I try my best to keep it that way: a haven of bright colours, sunlit rooms, good food, great books, and joy. It helps that I have a deep and abiding love of Murphy’s oil-soap, dusting, and curries. If I had an unlimited supply of Murphy’s oil-soap, I think I would wash the floors daily, just to keep the scent in the house.

Today is the feast of St. Mary Magdalene, I washed all the floors in celebration and baked strawberry-rhubarb crisp for dessert. I think we will have salmon this evening, with chives, garlic, pepper, paprika, lemon balm, walnuts, and lime juice; maybe wheat-berries and kale to accompany it. Salmon is an intense fish, with its beautiful pink flesh and full flavor; it seems appropriate that Magdalene’s meal have some intensity. She is a passionate Saint, though really, when I think on it, is there a saint that isn’t?

The sun is making patterns on the floor. I am sipping iced coffee and loving life. Deo gratias.

No comments:

Post a Comment