Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Beginning Book 3 with some leftover controversy: Harry Potter Book Club

l can relate to poor little Harry at the start of book three - I too neglected my studies all year, only to revel in 'homework' during the summer months. It's natural, Harry, really..I understand.

 We've had a lovely bit of discussion on a few general points recently: The spirituality (or lack thereof) of J.K. Rowling's writing and the value of the passive character in fiction. They've been fantastic, so if you haven't yet, check them out! If we can figure out a way to continue the discussion of spirituality in the series without ruining all discussion of future books - we will! Potentially during Lent - so wait and see, we'll let you know if we manage it.


On the theme of the magical and the spiritual, I thought Christie's thoughts were a fascinating take:
        ..  And what separates magic from science, in a universe where magic seems to lack all elements of spirituality and is a naturally found occurrence?  It reminds me of the passage in The Lord of the Rings when Lady Galadriel kindly tells Sam that what he considers "elf-magic" is for them art, skill, and science.

 l've never thought of the two magics as similar..though why exactly, I don't know..perhaps it's because Tolkien's world feels intensely spiritual to me, while Rowling's doesn't - Jenna has a much different reaction, to both worlds - hence the need for time set aside to dissect the soul of the series!

" A book of light and shadow" Jenna calls Prisoner of Azkaban; she's so right!  This is the book that seems to have more unrealized potential than any other, but that my because I have a love affair with light and shadow and am always hoping for more, or it may be because Rowling seems to be beginning a deeper infusion in the books of her themes and philosophies, but is not quite so heavy handed as she is in later books - so there is the attractive, imaginative richness of the  earlier books is still prominent. It is the book I usually think of when asked to pick my favorite in the series. "Pack lots of chocolate!" is Jenna's closing recommendation here, and I agree - along with her advice to "hold onto your souls"..which means I can't buy those beautiful tarot cards I just want to have for inspiration in my month of novelling... they are relevant to the story, really! But soul firmly in hand, I turn away, and towards the distraction of finding Harry Potter memes appropriate to our journey through book three!


http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7d/33/c3/7d33c36b56fcee978902263b97fc4c08.jpg
I couldn't find one..but this is adorable!

4 comments:

  1. Well, there is a lot of Quidditch in this book...

    Reading your Tarot problems, I thought you might find this interesting:
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/godandthemachine/2013/07/reclaiming-tarot/

    Grab some chocolate and hold onto your souls...someone should write a song that features those lyrics.

    I've already given my own take on Christie's query: namely, that Rowling's magic has personality. It doesn't just do it's job, it expresses emotions. Note, for instance, the mirror in Ron's house that criticizes Harry for not having his shirt tucked in, or the dog-like behavior of the flying car.

    Light and shadow: definitely! But can't say any more without revealing certain...things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS BTanaka!

      I enjoyed the article..and bought the book mentioned in it!

      Delete
  2. I was fascinated by that point of Christie's, too. It's not that Tolkien's world doesn't feel spiritual to me--it does, it's just that it feels so removed... it might just be how close Tolkien gets to objective voice from time to time. I hate objective voice. I know the Bible mostly uses it, but whatever. ;P

    This book should be fun. I feel rather passionate about light and shadow, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah...I have a lot of trouble comparing Tolkien and Rowling in my mind..they're so different .. but I like objective voice..even not in the Bible..the Bible can get away with anything, 'cause, I mean, nobody wants to get creepy dreams like Saint Jerome did, so we just have to accept ;)

    I LOVE this book..light and shadow, SPOILER and SPOILER..and everything in between..

    ReplyDelete