Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Tea Retreat

Jenna and I are retreating from our discussion for the season. We have plans to pick it up - less often and refreshed, after Christmas. For the rest of this month, I’m pursuing other projects. Christmas is fast approaching - I have a little dress to make, presents to wrap, pork to collect from the butcher, and so many winter plans to bring to fruition. We have an icy layer of snow on the ground, it’s a loud walking under the stars, when everything else is silent.

I’m planning my own retreat from Cyganeria for a week or so, because our last discussion of the distractions inherent in our technological world has reminded me of my own tendency to become absorbed in the world online. So I’ll be writing more, praying more, reading more, and putting my snow-covered yard in order this week, all while hopefully building those daily habits of beauty that I so desire to make a part of every moment.

 
Enjoy a week of tea and reflection, with a good book or two, and some homemade croissants. A delightful accompaniment to snowy afternoon reading is a drink called London Fog: early grey tea, steamed milk (or light cream) and just a hint of vanilla (I like tossing half a vanilla bean in the milk as it heats on the stove). It’s lovely with croissants, or Russian tea cakes (if you don’t put any sugar in your tea).

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, that London Fog drink sounds GOOD. And Russian tea cakes!! I might have to give this a try one of these nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! It's so nice in the winter..Do you have snow yet??

      Delete
  2. Does the milk have to be steamed? (I like putting it in straight from the fridge to cool the tea so I can drink it sooner!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all..I'm obsessed with steamed milk, but cold milk does make everything cool quickly..But you can't really infuse vanilla in the milk when it's cold, so I'd either stick the bean in the tea while it steeps or just put in a bit of vanilla extract..assuming you still want the vanilla at all - sometimes I don't. ;)

      Delete
  3. I never say no to vanilla. c:

    Okay, I tired this with vanilla flavored soy creamer, and it was quite good. Not as good as it would be with milk, I know, but I didn't have to worry about the vanilla bean/extract.

    ReplyDelete