Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Like all dreamers, I confused disenchantment with Truth."
~John-Paul Sartre

Moving has thrown me out of my easy circle of friends, those who know me deeply and share, in some way, my passions. It has forced me to see beyond myself in many ways. Here, our aquaintances are mostly of a different sort and the adjustment has been somewhat trying for me. I realize I've been traveling in a world of my own creation, always amongst those who pursue answers to the same questions. Even those whose answers differ, believe in the importance of those questions. I have never needed to defend my devotion to Beauty before, and I am doing so on two sides now. It's difficult, and lonely, to swim against a sea of ideas that are so opposite my own.

For moj brat the dismissal of Beauty, I think, is a part of an assumed disenchantment. It is a rejection of objectivity more than of Beauty, and a desire to seperate himself from those things: Beauty, Truth, and Goodness in their objective expressions which may draw him out of easy speculation and into the demands of understanding. Beause of this, I don't think I can answer him in such a way as to make him truly consider my position - "where the mind is perhaps rather unwilling to be convinced, it will always find something to support its doubts." (Jane Austen). I'm not a philosopher, I don't argue well, I'm too easily distracted by other thoughts. I would rather pass joy around to all, like cups of vodka; how can one not see Beauty if one has joy?

3 comments:

  1. Bravo em!
    It's so true that trying to uphold a devotion to beauty is extremely discouraging. I think people shrink from it because beauty demands standards and effort and JUDGMENT....Heaven forbid we judge......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call! Judgement was a big issue in my conversation with G. too, he didn't like calling one person an Artist, and another not-an-Artist.

    I think I'll call today and talk about it a bit, I need inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh do call! I love talking. It's nice to have companionship!

    ReplyDelete